Home

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Make Friendship a Fine Art

Last night a group of us girls got together to celebrate my birthday. We went to my favorite little local restaurant. When I say local, I mean local, we can all walk there. It was a nice, relaxing evening spent with dear friends. While some I have known longer than others but I am so enjoying welcoming the new friendships.

Photobucket

Friendship-the emotions or conduct of friends. I used to throw that noun around, my friend so and so....What a mistake. Friend is not at all the casual term that it had become in my vocabulary. It is easy to be a friend when things are going great and all is right in your world. But when things get ugly or too sad or tough it can be difficult to be a friend and for that matter difficult to receive friendship. I have to admit for whatever the reason, too busy, a little shy, selfish I haven't always put my best foot forward.

This is one of the microscopic changes I can feel. Because of Kate, I am a better friend, I crave those friendships in a way I never did before. I really want to genuinely invest in my friends and their families. Maybe it is because when shown love in the deepest, darkest, ugliest moments of ones life something begins. In my saddest moment my friends where there and they knew how to act and what to say and when they really didn't know what to do they faked it. I love my friends, I thank God for giving me these friends and for the friends he will bring me in the future. They all have lovely beautiful children who are already being good friends to my boys and I know in the future my boys are going to need a few GOOD buddies. Life is tough.

So here is to my friends. Thank you for everything; for hauling my kids places they needed to be but I couldn't do it, for cooking dinner for my family when I was unable, for having the boys over for countless playdates, keeping me up on things I "needed to know"-like homework due tomorrow, for showering Kate with sweet presents and welcoming her into this world better than I could(at the time), for helping me believe it is going to be okay and mostly for sticking by me in this most trying time. All I can say is one big heart felt thanks. I can only hope to be just as good of friend to each of you as you all have been to me.

On a side note the whole Mariemont community has shown my family great love. This is why we chose to live here, great people.

Photobucket
I am in the upper right. I am noticing it is time to drop the rest of this baby weight.


Photobucket
These are the lovely & fun gifts I received last night. I love my little set of sweet bowls, I can't wait to use them, my dishtowel looks darling hanging in my kitchen and the boys thought the slippers were hilarious....and comfortable. Thank you everyone.

Photobucket
Here is Kate sporting her darling green patent leather/pleather driving mocs I scored at Target for $5! Don't they look so cute.


Photobucket

This is my rag tag crew this morning as we wait for their haircuts. Their chlorine filled tresses were in dire need of a cut! After 4 haircuts in a row needless to say no one was in the mood for an "after" picture. So you'll have to trust me when I say they looked pretty cute. Oh how I love my stair step boys......

Photobucket
When it's all said and done, at the end of the day I have much to be thankful for. I have a husband who loves me, four beautiful boys, a lovely little girl and friends....friends......friends......

1 comment:

BLOOM - Parenting Kids With Disabilities said...

Hi Callie -- I saw you on Kelle Hampton's blog and thought you might enjoy BLOOM -- a magazine on parenting kids with disabilities. I'd love to send you a couple of issues if you e-mail me your snail-mail address:

lkinross@hollandbloorview.ca

You can also follow us on the BLOOM blog at
http://bloom-parentingkidswithdisabilities.blogspot.com/

I hope Kate and her brothers are enjoying their holiday! Cheers